The best and worst issue regarding being an Web developer is that the Web is consistently ever-changing. Whereas this is often exciting it conjointly means Web developers should always be proactive regarding learning new techniques or programming languages, adapting to changes, and be willing and desperate to settle for new challenges. This might embrace tasks like adapting existing frameworks to fulfill business necessities, testing an Web site to spot technical issues, or optimizing and scaling a website to raise perform with the back-end infrastructure. we tend to thought we might compile a comprehensive list of new development tools and resources that may assist you to be a lot of productive, keep enlightened, and become a far better developer.
Web Development Tools and Resources for 2018
A lot of these web development tools below square measure ones we tend to use at Key CDN on a day after day. we tend to can’t embrace everything, however here square measure a handful of our favorites and alternative wide used ones. Hopefully, you discover a brand new tool or resource which will aid you in your development advancement. Note the tools and resources below square measure listed in no specific order.
- jQuery UI: A curate set of user interface interactions, effects, widgets, and themes.
- jQuery Mobile: HTML5-based user interface system designed to make PSD to responsive websites
- Bootstrap: HTML, CSS, and JS framework for developing responsive, mobile first projects on the web.
- Foundation: Family of responsive front-end frameworks that make it easy to design beautiful responsive websites, apps and emails that look amazing on any device.
- uikit: A lightweight and modular front-end framework for developing fast and powerful web interfaces.
Web Application Frameworks
A new application framework may be a code framework designed to assist and alleviate a number of a headache concerned within the development of web applications and services.
- Phalcon: A full-stack PHP framework delivered as a C-extension.
- Symfony: A set of reusable PHP components and a web application framework.
- Flask: A micro framework for Python based on Werkzeug and Jinja 2.
Task Runners / Package Managers
- Webpack: A module bundler for modern Java Script applications.
Languages / Platforms
Behind all the Web development tools may be a language. A programming language may be a formal made language designed to speak with a pc and build programs within which you’ll be able to manage the behavior. And affirmative we tend to understand a number of these won’t continually be stated as a language.
- HTML5: Markup language, the latest version of HTML and XHTML.
- PHP: Popular general-purpose scripting language that is especially suited to web development.
- CSS3: Latest version of cascading style sheets used in front-end development of sites and applications.
A information may be an assortment of knowledge that’s kept in order that it will be retrieved, managed and updated.
- PostgreSQL: A powerful, open source object-relational database system.
- MongoDB: Next-generation database that lets you create applications never before possible.
- MySQL: One of the world’s most popular open source databases.
A CSS preprocessor is largely a scripting language that extends CSS so compiles it into regular CSS. Check that to conjointly look into our in-depth post on Sass vs. PSD to HTML Conversion .
- Sass: A very mature, stable, and powerful professional grade CSS extension.
- Less: As an extension to CSS that is also backwards compatible with CSS. This makes learning Less a breeze, and if in doubt, lets you fall back to vanilla CSS.
- Stylus: A new language, providing an efficient, dynamic, and expressive way to generate CSS. Supporting both an indented syntax and regular CSS
Web Development Communities
Every Web developer has been there. They need a haul and what do they do? Well, they are going to Google to search out a fast answer. The Web offers most content right at our fingertips that it makes it straightforward to diagnose and troubleshoot issues once they arise. look into many smart WordPress development communities below.
- Visual Studio Code: Code editing redefined and optimized for building and debugging modern web and cloud applications.
- Text Mate: A code and markup editor for OS X.
- Coda 2: A fast, clean, and powerful text editor for OS X.
Markdown may be a nomenclature in plain text exploitation a simple syntax that may then be reborn to PSD to HTML5 Responsive on the fly. Note: this is often completely different than an application editor. Markdown editor’s square measure generally stated because of the mediate application and easily writing code.
- Stack Edit: A free online rich markdown editor.
- Dillinger: An online cloud-enabled, HTML5, buzzword-filled Markdown editor.
- Mou: Markdown editor for developers on Mac OS X.
- Texts: A rich editor for plain text. Windows and Mac OS X.
Almost every Web developer, particularly front-end developers can at some purpose or alternative want icons for his or her project. Below square measure, some nice resources for each free and paid high-quality icons.
- Icons8: An extensive list of highly customizable icons created by a single design team.
- Icon Finder: Icon finder provides beautiful icons to millions of Responsive web design Services.
- Fontello: Tool to build custom fonts with icons.
Git purchasers / Services
Git may be an ASCII text file management system for code and Web development legendary for distributed revision management. Once operating with groups, employing a dirty dog consumer to push code changes from dev to production may be thanks to maintaining the chaos and guarantee things square measure tested so that they don’t break your live Web application or website.
- GitHub Client: A seamless way to contribute to projects on GitHub and GitHub Enterprise.
- Gogs: A painless self-hosted Git service based on the Go language.
- GitLab: Host your private and public software projects for free.
Local Dev Environments
Depending upon what OS you’re running or the pc you presently have access to, it would be necessary to launch fast native dev surroundings. There square measure tons of free utilities that bundle Apache, MySQL, PHPMyAdmin, etc. all at once. This may be a fast thanks to checking one thing on your native machine. tons of them even have transportable versions.
- XAMPP: Completely free, easy to install Apache distribution containing Maria DB, PHP, and Perl.
- MAMP: Local server environment in a matter of seconds on OS X or Windows.
- Wamp Server: Windows wordpress development It allows you to create web applications with Apache2, PHP and a MySQL database.
Diff checkers will assist you to compare variations between files so merge the changes. tons of this may be done from command line interface, however, generally, it will be useful to envision a lot of visual illustration
- Diffchecker: Online diff tool to compare text differences between two text files. Great if you are on the go and quickly need to compare something.
- Beyond Compare: A program to compare files and folders using simple, powerful commands that focus on the differences you’re interested in and ignore those you’re not.
Code Sharing / Experimenting
There is continually that point after you square measure on Skype or Google resort with another developer and you would like him or her to require a fast explore your code. Their square measure nice team tools for sharing code like Slack, however, if they square measure a member of your team there are some nice fast alternatives. Bear in mind to not share something secure.
- Code share: Share code in real-time with other developers.
- Dabblet: Interactive playground for quickly testing snippets of CSS and HTML code.
Every nice development team wants the simplest way to remain to bear, collaborate, and be productive. Tons of groups work remotely currently. The team at KeyCDN is really unfolded across many alternative continents. Tools like these below will facilitate staff contour their development advancement.
- Asana: Team collaboration tool for teams to track their work and results.
- Jira: Built for every member of your software team to plan, track, and release great software or web applications.
- Trello: Flexible and visual way to organize anything with anyone. We also use this as KeyCDN.
Website Speed check Tools
The speed of an Web site will be a vital issue to its success. Quicker loading websites will like higher SEO rankings, higher conversion rates, lower bounce rates, and a far better overall user expertise and engagement. it’s vital to require advantage of the various free tools on the market for testing web site speed.
- Dotcom-Tools Speed Test: Test the speed of your website in real browsers from 25 locations worldwide.
- Web Page Test: Run a free website speed test from multiple locations around the globe using real browsers (IE and Chrome) and at real consumer connection speeds.
- Pingdom: Test the load time of that page, analyze it and find bottlenecks.
- GT metrix: Gives you insight on how well your site loads and provides actionable